Monday, April 14, 2014

More than Just a Mattress and a Meal

My mom and I had the opportunity to have our first stay at a Bed and Breakfast this past weekend, and I  must say, impressed doesn't even begin to explain how I felt during and after our trip which you can read about here

I'm a breakfast fanatic.  Biscuits, gravy, pancakes, waffles, toast, fruit, sausage, bacon, livermush....you name it, and as long as its in the morning, I'll go nuts.  So as you can imagine, the idea of staying in a cabin-y room and waking up to a delicious spread nearly drove me bonkers in anticipation.  And believe me, I wasn't disappointed at all.
Left: The Claiborne Ave view of The House Right: The Wash Room Cottage Mom and I stayed at! 

I was expecting amazing, I was expecting unique, and I got that...and so much more at The Claiborne House in Rocky Mount VA.  The Leete's have a beautiful B&B, and you can see the care and preservation they have put into taking care of this amazing house, which is over 100 years old.  They were friendly and ready to help us have an amazing weekend, and full of suggestions of things to do in the community.  Here are few pictures of the property:








 These pictures don't do it justice AT ALL.  It's the perfect mix of whimsical and homey, country chic if you will.
Now that I've shown how beautiful the grounds are....HERE COMES THE FOOD!

Saturday's Breakfast:

 We walked in to a beautifully set dining room, smells of tastey promises wafting in from the kitchen.  We start with a delicious granola, yogurt, and fruit bowl, and then are brought the most amazing french toast I've ever had the pleasure of devouring.  Shellie and her family truly are food artists, and they embrace the beauty of breakfast with every meal they prepared for us.

Sunday Breakfast:

Delicious fresh biscuits, fluffy perfect eggs, crispy hashbrowns, and juicy tomato slices started the day of right!


Monday Breakfast:
Saying which breakfast was my favorite was hard...but I'd have to say this croissant french toast with fresh blueberries.  As you can see, I couldn't even hold my self back, I'm surprised I didn't lick the plate!

I'm a list person, so here is a sample of a list I made while we were staying at the The Claiborne of the small touches that meant the most to my stay:
  • They have brochures on ALL of the amazing things to do in the area.  Shellie and her family can tell you everything you need to see/do while you're around, because they have completely immersed themselves in this community, and truly know the "do before you leave" list.
  • They have "Granny's Rules": no cussin', drinkin', or smokin'.  With exceptions, of course.  They are very clear on the respect that they expect their guests to have for their home, but are always willing to work with you.  I felt free to come and go as I please, and to carry on with our plans and business.
  • The pictures and descriptions were accurate, if not underestimating.  More than once, I've stayed at a place that looked AMAZING, but was SERIOUSLY disappointed when we showed up.  Not in this case.  It was gorgeous online...but beautiful in person.
  • The Wash Room smells like cedar every time you open the door.  I didn't smell anything unpleasant the entire time I was at the B&B.  They are so meticulous of their cleaning that there was never a foul incident in that category (or any category, for that matter). 
  • THE SHEETS WERE LIKE CLOUDS, SURROUNDING YOUR BODY!  I know this is an obscure thing to have on this list, but I'm telling you...I almost couldn't get out of bed.     
  • When we asked them honest questions, they gave us honest answers.  We asked where to eat: they told us their favorites.  We had to deal with a little family situation through our visit, and they were so kind and caring in helping us deal with it.  Our car battery died on mainstreet, and Tony and his daughter came to the rescue!
  • They have an "Elope Virginia" program, that includes an intimate, 2-4 person wedding, with pictures, cake, and the night at the B&B.  I think this is brilliant, and extremely well priced given the services they provide!
My list is much longer, but I'll end it here for now.

 There is no way that this post is going to be able to do this amazing family business justice.  All I can do is point you towards their trip adviser reviews, and their "Funky Blog"!
If you have any questions or comments, please don't hesitate to leave a comment below!

Note: I normally wont make separate posts for every place I stay of my big adventures, but my first B&B experience was so amazing it needed its own post!

As Shellie and her family would say "Isn't it time for a Blue Ridge Day Y'all?"





No comments:

Post a Comment